Phelim Byrne presents a hearty fish bake on Four Live.
- 2 leeks (shredded, white part)
- 50 ml white wine
- 200 ml cream
- 180 g wexford cheddar
- 2 tblsp chives (snipped)
- salt and pepper
- 780 g cod fillets (skinned and pin boned)
- 120 g fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tblsp fresh herbs
- 35 g butter
- jest of ½ lemon
- In a little oil, sweat the leek until just starting to soften for 1-2 minutes,
- add the white wine and reduce to one third and now add the cream and reduce by half.
- Add the cheddar and mix well until the stringy cheesy base is ready, season to taste and add the chives.
- Place in the bottom of a suitable sized dish and season the cod fillets, divide into four portions and place on top of the creamy leeks.
- Now whiz up the crumbs, lemon, butter and herbs, season to taste and then sprinkle evenly over the four portions of fish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C (Gas 6) for about 25 minutes or until bubbling and cooked through.
Phelim's tips: Use a salmon fillet or even hake to produce this dish instead of cod. This is a simple gluten free one dish meal by using gluten free crumbs/ bread for the crumb topping. Add chopped spring onion to the leek mixture to use in season vegetables and add colour and flavour to the dish. Try this dish with chicken fillets instead of fish by sealing a 160g fillet on a pan before placing on the leeks then cooking at the same temp for about 30 minutes. For a lighter option try halving the amount of cheese and adding a tub of crème fraiche which has been mixed with 2 tsp of cornflour instead of the cream. This is a lovely dish prepared, cooked and presented in individual little pots as apposed to one serving dish.
More by Phelim Byrne:
- Marinated Roast Pork Fillet in Chilli and Ginger
- Handmade decadent assorted Chocolate Truffles
- Herbed Sardine Humus with Fresh Tomato Bruschetta