These are a great energy snack going-delicious, healthy and full of zing!
- 180 g 100% cacao (roughly chopped)
- 100 g walnuts, hazelnuts or brazil nuts (roughly chopped)
- 100 g sultanas or raisons or a mixture
- 100 g crystalised ginger (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tblsp honey
- splash of rum or cognac (optional)
- equipment: shallow baking tin about 18 x 27cm
- Line a shallow baking tin with cling film so that several centimetres hang over the sides of the tin.
- Melt the cacao in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the nuts, sultanas or raisins and ginger into the melted chocolate until well coated. Add the cinnamon, vanilla essence, honey and rum or cognac, if using, and stir until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Leave overnight in the fridge.
- Gripping the overhanging cling film and lift the set chocolate block out of the tin. Peel off the cling film and chop the block into bite sized pieces. If stored in a cool place in an airtight container, these will keep for a month.