The meat mix is full of really light and aromatic flavours and is served in little baby gem lettuce leaves, making the lettuce cups perfect finger food!
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 250 g turkey (mince)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp fish sauce
- 1 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- juice of one lime
- 8 mint lives (finely chopped)
- 5 spring onions (finely chopped)
- the leaves from 2 baby gem lettuces
- thai sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and add the turkey, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until the mince is tender and browned, then add in the garlic and chilli and fry for a further minute.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar and stir through, frying for another minute.
- Finally add in half the spring onions, mint and the juice of one lime. Fry until the spring onions are just tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until just warm.
- Place 1 heaped tablespoon of the aromatic turkey in each baby gem lettuce leaf, top with a drizzle of Thai sweet chilli sauce and a garnish with the remaining spring onions and mint.
Donal's tips: Pick up ingredients for Asian store cupboards at Asian markets where you can buy in larger in quantities. Use rice vermicelli noodles, which take a few minutes soaked in boiling water to cook and are a super cheat's super ingredient.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Creme Brulee Doughnuts
- Butterscotch Pudding: One for the grown ups!
- Treacle Beef Ribs, Cheesy Polenta: Donal Skehan