A tasty curry with a twist!
- 1.2 kg lean lamb, cubed
- 250 ml natural yoghurt
- 30 ml sunflower oil
- 2 onions (cut into wedges)
- 1 onion (chopped finely)
- 2 red peppers (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 yellow pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely sliced)
- 1 red chilli (seeded and chopped)
- 2.5 ml ginger (grated)
- 30 ml mild curry paste
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- pinch of saffron
- salt and pepper
- coriander , chopped for garnish
- Mix the lamb with the yoghurt and cover for about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil.
- Drain the lamb and reserve the yoghurt.
- Brown the lamb in batches.
- Keep aside
- Brown the 2 onions gently. Add the peppers
- Set the vegetables aside.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic, chilli and ginger to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in the curry paste and tomatoes with the reserved yoghurt.
- Return the lamb to the pan and season.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let the saffron dissolve in a little water.
- Add this liquid into the curry.
- Return the onion and peppers to the curry mixture.
- Add the cherry tomatoes
- Bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with basmati rice and naan bread.
Catherine's tip: Don’t peel the ginger and use a microplan grater – this will speed things up.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart