A cost-effective and delicious soup.
- ham hock
- 50 g butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 kg frozen peas
- 575 ml ham hock cooking liquid
- 575 ml vegetable stock
- a good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- Place the ham hock in a pot cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 45 mins or until the meat pulls away from the bone.
- When cool, remove the meat and reserve 575ml/1 pint of the cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large pot and cook the onion until soft. Add in the peas and the ham liquid and stir well.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook the peas for 5-10 minutes until soft and then remove 2 ladles of the peas into a bowl.
- Using a stick blender liquidise the remaining peas in the pot.
- Add the whole peas back in and gradually add the vegetable stock to the soup.
- Add more stock if the soup is too thick.
- Remove the skin from the ham hock, cut up the meat and add this to the soup.
- Serve with some crusty bread.