- 6 egg yolks
- 150 g caster sugar
- 25 g cornflour
- 1.20 litres milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 tblsp demerara sugar
- Place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl with the sugar and using a hand-held whisk beat for 5 minutes until thickened. Tip in the corn flour and mix well to combine.
- Place the milk in a pan with the cinnamon stick, lemon and orange rind. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk, discarding the cinnamon stick, lemon and orange rind and then gradually whisk into egg and sugar mixture. Place in a clean pan and slowly return to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Leave to cool, then pour into 4 individual dishes or ramekins and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight is best to allow the custard pots to firm up.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the tops evenly with the demerara sugar and caramelise with blow torch or under a preheated hot grill. Arrange on plates to serve.