- 50 g ‘un-popped’ popcorn kernels (find these in the ‘whole foods’ section of a supermarket, or even a health food shop)
- 50 g flora buttery
- 25 g light brown muscavado sugar
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 0.25 tsp ground cinnamon (optional, but makes a lovely difference to the flavour!)
- Place the Flora Buttery in a large saucepan (with a lid!) and melt on a medium heat.
- Once the Flora starts to sizzle a bit, add the kernels and immediately cover with the lid. Keep the heat at a medium.
- Now wait for a couple of minutes or so and you’ll start to hear popping. Once the popping really starts, hold on to the lid (though watch out for hot steam!) and make sure you shake the pan every few seconds to stop any kernels burning at the bottom.
- Once the popping slows down so you can count to about 2 between pops, and then chances are it’s done. But do follow the guidelines on the packet. It should take no more than about 2 minutes for a fully ‘popped’ pan!
- Once you’re happy that most of the kernels are popped, remove from the heat, and immediately add the sugar, honey and cinnamon. Stir through while the pan’s still warm. Serve immediately in bowls, removing any hard ‘unpopped’ kernels.
For more heart healthy recipes check out www.florahearts.ie