A delicious starter from Tommy Bowe.
- 1 kg mussels
- 55 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 4 tblsp cream salt and pepper
- large bunch parsley, oregano and tarragon (finely chopped)
- 1 crusty french baguette
- Wash the mussels under cold water and remove those that don’t open when squeezed lightly or are already open. Remove beards and barnacles from remaining mussels.
- Heat the butter in a large pot and sauté the garlic in it for about 30 seconds, then add the onions and cook gently until they soften. Toss in the wine and allow to cook off for 1-2 minutes. Add the mussels and cover pot with a lid. Cook for couple of minutes on a high heat, shaking the pot occasionally. When the mussels open they are ready. Add in the cream and parsley and stir the mussels around for a while.
- Serve in a large bowl with crusty bread.