Give Arun Kapil's curried egg recipe a try.
- 6 hen eggs
- 20 g ginger (fresh root, blitzed or grated)
- 3 big cloves of garlic (finely chopped or crushed)
- 300 g onions (diced)
- 65 g butter
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- fresh coriander good handful (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cassia or cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric,
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Pop the spices in your electric grinder or pestle and mortar and ‘blitz’ to a coarse powder.
- Place the eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and allow to bubble away for 4 -5 minutes. Drain and refresh under running water for 3 minutes or so. Crack the egg shells and peel them. Place on kitchen paper to allow them to dry, set aside.
- Then, place a heavy bottomed, large pan or casserole on to a medium flame, add the butter (or ghee, or oil) and heat for a moment.
- Add the onions, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, stir and allow to sweat down until they’re all soft.
- Add your blend of spices, stir, then add your tin of tomatoes. Stir again, turn down the heat slightly and gently simmer for 1 minute or so.
- Add the tin of coconut milk, stir, turn up the heat, bring to the boil, allow the mixture to gently bubble for only a minute before turning the heat back down to low and simmering with the lid off.
- Reduce the sauce until it has the consistency of double cream and can coat the back of your stirring spoon with a glossy covering, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Cut the eggs in half, lengthways, pop them onto your warmed dinner plates, spoon over lashings of the beautiful sauce, sprinkle with the fresh coriander and serve immediately....simple!
- Serving suggestions: Serve with mounds fluffy Aged Basmati rice or Naan
More by Arun Kapil:
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake