A simpler version of an authentic cassoulet from Neven Maguire.
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 8 large wild boar sausages
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp chopped sage
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin of haricot beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- crusty bread and creamy mashed potatoes to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the sausages and cook gently for 1–2 minutes or until they are just sealed and lightly browned on all sides. Transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside until needed.
- Wipe out the frying pan and then add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, chilli and sage and then sauté very gently for about 10 minutes until the onion is completely softened but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a small roasting tin or casserole dish
- – the mixture needs to fit quite snugly. Then stir in the haricot beans and smoked paprika and arrange the sausages on top, burying them down into the mixture.
- Roast for 20–25 minutes until the cassoulet is bubbling and the sausages are cooked through and tender. Scatter the parsley over and serve straight away with mashed potatoes and a basket of crusty bread.
Neven's tip: You can use any good quality sausage if boar sausages are unavailable
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show