A delicious dish pairing figs with a some Parma ham from Neven Maguire.
- 12 fresh figs
- 10 slices of parma ham (about 150g in total)
- 100 g dolcelatte or gorgonzola cheese (rind removed and cut into small cubes)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 40 g wild rocket
- freshly ground black pepper
- port and balsamic syrup, to serve
- Preheat the over to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6).
- Carefully trim the stalk off each fig and cut a thin slice off the base so that they sit without rocking. Using a small, sharp knife, make a cut through each fig, starting from the stalk end cutting down about halfway. Turn each fig a quarter turn and make a second cut at right angles to the first, again cutting only halfway down. Gently open the figs out so that they resemble lotus flowers and place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Remove the thin layer of fat from each slice of Parma ham and set the fat aside. Cut the Parma ham slices into narrow strips. Gently stuff scrunched up pieces of ham into the centre of each fig and top with cubes of the dolcelatte or Gorgonzola.
- Press each fig together to enclose its filling. Carefully wrap the fat from the Parma ham around the figs and arrange back on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over each one and season with pepper. The figs can be prepared to this stage a few hours in advance and kept covered loosely with cling film in the fridge until needed.
- Bake the figs for 8-10 minutes or until the Parma ham has crisped and the cheese has melted. The figs should have softened but still retain their shape.
- To serve, arrange a small mound of wild rocket on plates and arrange three figs on each one. Drizzle the Port and Balsamic Syrup around the edge of the plates to serve.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show