For the very best results, leave the carpaccio at room temperature for a couple of hours before serving to allow the syrup flavours to infuse the pineapple.
- 50 g caster sugar
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 passion fruits
- 0.5 small mild red chilli (de-seeded and finely shredded)
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- 2 tblsp finely shredded mint leaves
- passion fruit or mango sorbet, to serve (optional)
- Pour 120ml (4fl oz) of water into a small, heavy-based saucepan. Add the sugar and lime juice and bring to a gentle simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat. Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the seeds, then stir into the sugar syrup. Stir in the chilli and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice the top and bottom off the pineapple, sit it upright on a board and slice away the skin and all the little brown ‘eyes'. Using an apple corer, remove the core and then, using a very sharp knife, slice the pineapple as thinly as possible. Cover the base of a platter or individual plates with the slices and set aside.
- When the sugar syrup has cooled, stir in the lime zest and mint and drizzle over the pineapple carpaccio. Cover with cling film and set aside at room temperature for 2 hours if time allows. Remove the cling film and serve on individual plates with scoops of passion fruit sorbet, if you wish.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show