A starter to get you thinking about holidays.
- 2 squid (cut into 1cm rings)
- 1 tblsp clear organic honey
- 1 tblsp thai fish sauce
- 60 g chorizo (sliced)
- fresh ground black pepper
- for the batter:
- 1 free-range egg
- 120 ml ice cold sparkling water
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g corn flour
- for the salad:
- 100 g mixed baby leaves
- 4 scallions (sliced)
- 1 orange (peeled and segmented)
- for the dressing:
- 0.5 grapefruit (juice only)
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 1 orange (juice only)
- 20 ml olive oil
- 5 ml roast sesame oil
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat a deep fat fryer to 180ºC.
- First make the salad dressing. Place the grapefruit juice, lime, juice, orange juice, olive oil and sesame oil in a small jar. Add the sugar and seasoning and shake the dressing vigorously until the liquid emulsifies.
- Place the squid in a bowl and drizzle with the honey and fish sauce. Season with black pepper and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Sear the chorizo in a hot pan until golden, and then remove with a slotted spoon and drain of some kitchen paper.
- To make the batter, beat the egg with cold sparkling water until the mixture is light and frothy. Add in the sesame seeds and sift in the flour and corn flour. Fold the mixture gently, taking care not to over beat the batter.
- Lightly dust the marinated squid with some plain flour and then dip in the tempura batter. Shake off any excess batter and deep fry in the pre-heated fryer for 3-5 minutes. When the squid is golden, remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place the salad leaves, scallions and orange segments in a bowl and toss with some dressing. Arrange some salad on a plate and sprinkle with Chorizo and deep fried squid. Serve immediately.
More by Daithí Ó Sé:
- Dáithí's Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Crabmeat Stuffed Chicken with Lobster and Brandy Sauce
- Homemade Duck Paté, Blackberry Compote and Wheaten Bread