You'll have to leave it overnight, but the wait is worth it.
- 8 oz whole blanched almonds (toasted)
- 4 oz pistachio nuts (shelled, roughly chopped)
- 2 oz glace cherries (rinsed, dried and halved)
- 8 oz granulated sugar
- 2 tblsp glucose syrup
- 4 floz water
- 4 oz clear honey warmed
- 2 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sheets rice paper (eating paper)
- Mix almonds, pistachios and glace cherries together.
- Place the sugar, glucose syrup and water in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Dip a pastry brush in water and brush down any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan.
- Bring to the boil without stirring until the temperature reaches 280°F on a sugar thermometer.
- Stir in the warm honey then continue to boil until a temperature of 290°F is reached.
- Immediately pour the syrup in a thin stream on to the egg whites, beating constantly with a electrical whisk.
- Add in the vanilla extract, nuts and cherries. Beat the mixture for 5 minutes or until the nougat begins to thicken.
- Pour into a 7x11inch shallow tin lined with rice paper. Spread the nougat into the tin and place a second sheet of rice paper on top - place something heavy on top to knock out any air bubbles. Then leave overnight.
- Remove the weight and cut the nougat into bars or squares. Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.