A lovely meal perfect for a dinner party.
- 230 g per person skinned and boned (ask fishmonger to skin and bone)
- 1 spring onion
- lemon butter sauce:
- 275 ml cream
- 80 g butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and white pepper
- Maris Pipers are great for mashed potatoes but any potatoes will do. Once boiled, it is essential to drain all the water from the pot and then allow the potatoes to dry off.
- Throw in four pieces of butter and heat through.
- Chop the spring onion into small pieces and add to the pot. Heat through for about two minutes, put in a pinch of sea salt and add to your potatoes.
- Mash thoroughly, adding some butter to your own taste.
- Cooking the Fish
- Put some water into a pot or deep pan. Add some salt and some parsley - just break it, don’t chop it. Then add a quarter of a lemon squeezed into the water.
- Leave the lemon piece in there as it will add even more flavour.
- Place on the hob and heat until boiling. Turn down to a simmer and gently add your fish.
- Bring to the boil again and then make sure you turn down the heat so that the fish just simmers for about 8/10 minutes.
- To check if it's done, just lift out with a slotted spoon and press with your finger. It should be firm to the touch.
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Place all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook over a moderately high heat until it reduces to a thick sauce - about a minute should do it.
- Place the mash on the plate, sit the hake on top and pour the lemon butter sauce over the top. Add a sprig of parsley as a garnish.