A fabulous tart from Catherine Fulvio.
- for the pastry:
- 225 g plain flour
- 30 g icing sugar
- 110 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tblsp water
- for the filling:
- 400 g mascarpone
- 240 ml double cream
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tblsp marsala
- 450 g plums, quartered
- 1 tblsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to180ºC/Gas 4.
- Cut the plums in quarters, remove the stones and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes so that they are cooked but still hold their shape. Allow to cool but do not refrigerate.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sieve in the icing sugar and stir.
- Beat the egg with the water and add to the bowl. Mix until it forms a firm dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes to let the dough rest before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to180°C/Gas 4.
- Butter a 23cm x 2 ½ cm loose bottomed tart tin or 6 individual tartlet tins. Flour a work surface and roll out the pastry slightly wider than the tin.
- Line the tin with the pastry and prick the base with a fork. Place in the fridge to rest for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and line with parchment paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Place in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until fully baked.
- Mix the mascarpone with the cream, sugar and Marsala, place in refrigerator until needed.
- Just prior to serving, spoon the mascarpone into the cooked pastry shell and place the plums on top. Dust with a little icing sugar and garnish with a sprig of mint.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Margherita Pizza, Parma Ham & Rocket: Fulvio
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle