Catherine Fulvio serves up a delicious main course.
- 4 beef fillets
- 250 ml chianti
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 2 shallots (cut into wedges)
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tsp thyme (chopped)
- 2 tsp butter
- pepper for seasoning
- olive oil, for frying
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Season the steak on both sides.
- Add the steak and cook on both sides over a high heat for 2–3 minutes or longer, depending on how well done you like your steak.
- Transfer the fillets to a platter to “rest” and keep warm in a low oven.
- Add the shallots to the pan and sauté over a low heat. Add in the mushrooms and thyme, increasing the heat and stirring constantly until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the wine and the tomato puree.
- Allow to the sauce thicken slightly and add the butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the fillet and garnish with a sprig of thyme. Serve immediately.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart