The perfect end to a dinner party.
- for the sweet pastry:
- 300 g plain flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 250 g butter
- 1 egg
- for the filling:
- 225 g apples (peeled, cored and cut into slices (such as granny smith or coxes)
- 225 g frozen/fresh mixed berries
- 40 g caster sugar
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
- 110 g plain flour
- 50 g dark muscovado sugar
- 25 g blanched almonds (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp oatmeal
- 50 g butter (cut into cubes)
- cream and ice cream to serve
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and flour and bring the mixture together.
- Wrap in cling film and allow to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Divide the sugar pastry into six pieces and use to line 6 x 10 cm/4 in individual tartlet tins that are 4 cm/1 1/2in deep. Arrange on a large baking sheet and chill for at least 15 minutes to allow the pastry to rest.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Place the apples and mixed berries in a pan with the caster sugar, orange rind and juice. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook gently for 5 minutes until the fruits are tender but still holding their shape. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Sift the plain and wholemeal flour into a bowl with the baking powder, then tip the residue from the sieve back into the bowl. Stir in the muscovado sugar, almonds and oatmeal. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Divide the cooled fruit mixture among the pastry cases and sprinkle the crumble on top. Arrange on a large baking sheet and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the crumble topping is crisp and golden brown.
- To serve, arrange the crumbles on serving plates warm or cold and using two dessertspoons dipped in hot water add a quenelle vanilla ice cream and fresh cream to each one.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show