A perfect solution for 'breakfast on the go'.
- 75 g almonds
- 75 g hazelnuts
- 75 g pumpkin seeds
- 125 g rolled oats
- 125 g bran flakes
- 200 ml golden syrup
- 75 ml maple syrup
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whizz the almonds, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds in a food processor for about 30 seconds.
- Toast them on a large roasting tray in an oven for 6-8 minutes at 200°C (400°F/Gas 6), or until they turn nice and golden. Keep a keen eye on them! Take them out and set aside to cool on a plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, bran flakes and toasted mixed nuts and seeds.
- In a small saucepan, bring the golden syrup, maple syrup, honey and vanilla extract to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients in the bowl and mix until everything is coated in the thick syrup.
- Press the mixture into a small 9-inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper, and pack tightly. Cover and place in the fridge until firm.
- Cut into breakfast bar pieces, wrap these up in greaseproof paper to go.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa