Remember not to rush your main course!
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150 ml olive oil
- 350 g flour
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g golden raisins or sultanas
- pinch of salt
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 500 g cooking apples (peeled and diced, about 1.5 cm)
- Preheat the oven 180°C/Gas 4.
- Place the sultanas/raisins in a bowl of hot water and allow to soak for 15 minutes, to plump up.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs until doubled in volume and pale cream in colour. Warm the olive oil and slowly whisk in with the eggs and sugar.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon, ginger, bread soda, salt and baking powder together. Then gradually add in to the oil and sugar mixture. Fold in well.
- Drain the raisins/sultanas from the water and add to the mixture along with the lemon zest and diced apples. Mix thoroughly. The mixture should be stiff at this stage.
- Butter and flour a 20cm spring form cake tin and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for at least 1 hour, until a skewer placed in the middle comes out dry.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto