A golden brown joy.
- for the ragù:
- 2 tblsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 700 g minced beef
- 100 ml red wine
- 200 ml beef stock
- 600 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- salt and pepper, to season
- for the ricotta sauce:
- 2 eggs
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 200 ml cream
- 70g parmesan cheese, grated
- 0.25 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-9 fresh spinach lasagne sheets
- 150 g mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 40 g parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper
- To prepare the ragù sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan pan and sauté the celery, carrots and onions until soft. This will take about 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, garlic and continue to cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the beef and brown on a high heat, then pour over the wine and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stock, tomato puree, season with salt and pepper, simmer uncovered for about 35-45 minutes. You may need to add a little more stock and check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
- To prepare the ricotta sauce, beat the eggs, add ricotta, cream, parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- To assemble, grease a 30cm x 20cm lasagne dish. Begin the layers with ragù sauce, mozzarella slices, basil leaves, spinach lasagna sheets and the ricotta sauce. Repeat ending with the ricotta sauce.
- Sprinkle with the grated parmesan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto