A dish to hug.
- 300 g macaroni pasta
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 225 g button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely sliced)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tblsp butter
- 4 tblsp plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 0.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 90 g grated fontina cheese
- 90 g provolone cheese
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 20 g grated pecorino cheese, for the topping
- 2 tblsp flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
- knob of butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of salt boiling water according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the garlic mushrooms and set aside.
- Melt the butter to the saucepan. Stir in the flour until it has blended with the butter, add the milk and keep stirring. Add the mustard and grated cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened, stirring constantly.
- Drain the macaroni and mix with the sauce. Stir in the mushrooms and pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the prepared dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, Pecorino and parsley together and scatter over the macaroni cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Today: Catherine's Cider Chicken Casserole
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio