A delicious savoury tart.
- 270 g filo pastry
- 300 g spinach (either big leaf or baby)
- 100 g sorrel
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml cream
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 250 g grated gruyere
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g melted butter
- 100 g pine nuts (lightly toasted)
- green salad, to serve
- you will need 4 x 12 cm tart tins
- Take the filo pastry out to defrost. Keep it covered with a damp tea towel and unravel it as it thaws. Don’t worry too much if it breaks up a bit, but keep it covered.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Remove any stalky bits if you’re using big leaf spinach(this isn’t necessary if you’re using the baby leaf kind) Blanch the sorrel and spinach together in boiling water for a few seconds, then drain and squeeze the living daylights out of it using a clean tea towel.If you’re using baby spinach, just wilt it with a knob of butter in a frying pan instead, but do dry it out just as well. Roughly chop the greens and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, then add the cream, nutmeg and cayenne. Mix well, then add the cheese and season.
- Brush the tart tins with a little melted butter and place on a baking tray. Line the tins with individual squares of filo pastry that you’ve cut so that the sheets slightly hang over the edges. Do about five layers of filo in each tin, brushing the sheets generously and regularly with melted butter. You may have to patch any gaps.
- Spoon equal amounts of the spinach, sorrel and cheese mixture into each tin, making sure to distribute it evenly. Carefully pour the egg mixture on top and scatter the pine nuts over. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Allow to cooool for about 30 minutes, then carefully remove from the tins.
- Serve with a crisp green salad.
Domini's tip: Use a damp tea towel to cover the filo pastry while you’re lining the tart tins.It will stop the pastry from drying out.
More by Domini Kemp:
- Asian Lamb Stir-Fry: Domini Kemp
- Blackberry Pancakes: The Ketogenic Kitchen
- Rhubarb Clafoutis: Domini Kemp, Today show