Richard Corrigan serves up a seafood salad!
- 1 kg mussels (cleaned)
- 4 eating apples (washed and grated)
- some sea lettuce (washed, chopped and sliced)
- sushi vinegar
- 1 tuscan cauliflower/ romanesco (broken into florets and blanched)
- rapeseed oil
- 2 beetroot (washed, peeled and par boiled for 15minutes)
- Put the mussels into a large heavy based saucepan that has a tight fitting lid, steam for 5-7 minutes or until all the muscles are open and you can see the orange mussel meat. Remove from heat once cooked.
- In a separate bowl mix the grated apple and the sea lettuce. Add sushi vinegar about two shake and mix together well.
- Add the blanched Tuscan cauliflower also known as romanesco, mix together well and check seasoning. Add some more vinegar and pour over some rapeseed oil. Checking the flavours are balanced as you go.
- Thinly slice the beetroot. To make a little extra dressing whisk together, a little of the mussel cooking liquor, some rapeseed oil and sushi vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning to make sure the dressing is palatable and balanced to taste.
- To Serve:
- Get a large flat dish or individual plates. Squeeze the apple and seaweed into small golf ball sized rounds.
- Put a slice of beetroot on the bottom of the plate, put the apple and seaweed ball on top and top with another piece of beetroot. Place a couple of mussles on top.
- Drizzle over some dressing and you have a stunning starter.
Richard's tip: When slicing the beetroot it’s advisable to wear rubber gloves or disposable plastic gloves to avoid staining your hands and nails.
More by Richard Corrigan:
- Butter Poached Smoked Haddock with a German Potato Salad
- Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Rump Burger with Foccacia Bread and Chunky Chips