A tasty easy-to-prepare starter.
- 8 red peppers (chopped into chunks)
- 4 large tomatoes (chopped roughly)
- 1 litre/2 pints vegetable stock
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften. Then add garlic and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Add the peppers and tomatoes to the pot and stir through with the onions and garlic.
- Pour the stock into the pot and add the oregano, thyme, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, until both peppers and tomatoes are tender.
- You can either serve as a chunky broth or puree for a silky warm soup.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella