Serve with crusty bread or rosemary roast potatoes.
- 1 large chicken (segmented)
- 6 tblsp plain flour (seasoned with 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper)
- 6 shallots (halved or quartered, depending on size)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced crossways)
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 125ml white wine
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp caster sugar, to taste
- 6-8 medium basil leaves, torn
- 2 tblsp thyme, chopped
- 30 black olives, whole
- olive oil, extra virgin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
- Slice the onion and garlic.
- Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess flour. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken pieces in batches over a medium heat (take care not to overload the frying pan).
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place into a casserole dish.
- Sauté the onions in the frying pan, over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and cook gently. Add to the chicken.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the white wine and add to the chicken.
- Then add the tomatoes, stock, sugar, thyme and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat.
- Cover and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked, then add the basil and olives.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread or rosemary roast potatoes.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto