- 120 g pancetta (diced, about 1-1½cm)
- 300 g spaghetti
- 4 egg yolks
- freshly ground black pepper
- 90 g freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tblsp olive oil, extra virgin
- salt, to taste
- basil for garnishing
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions in plenty of salted, boiling water. (Remember to keep the pasta cooking liquid).
- In the meantime, fry off the pancetta in a large, deep frying pan, until golden.
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks and pepper. Add a large ladleful of the pasta cooking liquid (about 240ml) to the egg yolks and mix quickly.
- Tip the cooked spaghetti into pan with the pancetta and toss in the eggs and pecorino cheese.
- Add some of the pasta cooking water to thin as required.
- Stir, check the seasoning, garnish with basil and serve immediately.