- 3 egg whites
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- 200 g icing sugar
- 120 g ground almonds
- food colouring
- Line baking trays with baking parchment.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the caster sugar and 1 or 2 drops of food colouring.
- Fold in sifted icing sugar and ground almonds.
- Spoon mixture into large piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain tube and pipe 30 small macaroons onto the trays.
- Tap the trays on the work surface to allow the macaroons to spread slightly.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Bake macaroons in a preheated oven at 130c for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.
- The macaroons can be eaten on their own, or sandwiched together with chocolate spread.
- To Make the Chocolate Spread:
- Melt 100g white chocolate and 2 tablespoons of cream together and then refrigerate.
- For Lemon Macaroons:
- Add the grated rind of 1 large lemon and 2 teaspoons of lemon oil to the mix.
- When cooked, spread a little lemon curd in between the macaroons.
- For Chocolate Macaroons:
- Add 3 tablespoons of cocoa power to the icing sugar.
- Sandwich together with Hazlenut spread.
- For Raspberry Macaroons:
- Add 6 Tablespoons of raspberry coulis to the mix.
- For the filling whip 75g of cream cheese with 75g unsalted butter(softened) to 150g icing sugar.
- Fold in Raspberry coulis to taste.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say