- 1 leg of lamb
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 carrots (peeled & diced)
- 1 stick celery (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- sprigs thyme & rosemary
- 200 ml meat stock (gravy granules would also be suitable)
- 100 ml red wine
- 8 rooster potatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 2 onions (peeled &sliced)
- 100 ml chicken stock (stock cubes suitable)
- 100 g butter
- On a large very hot oiled pan, seal the leg of lamb on all sides to a golden brown Colour.
- Place in a roasting dish.
- In the pan used to seal the lamb, add sliced onion, carrots, celery with garlic, thyme & rosemary.
- Toss these in the pan for a couple of minutes.
- Add the meat stock (or gravy granules) and the red wine.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the roasting tray around the lamb but not over it.
- Place in a moderate oven 180°C/185°C
- Baste the lamb with the juices from the roasting tray every 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking.
- After 1 hour, turn the lamb and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes (basting throughout).
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest on a chopping board for 15 minutes.
- When carving, always carve from the top, in the direction of the shin.
- Strain the juices from the roasting tray into a sauce boat to make a delicious gravy.
- Boulangère Potatoes
- In a square oven dish brush with some of the melted butter.
- Add a layer of potato slices and on top of that a layer of onion slices, continue the layering process until all of the potato & Onion is used.
- On the last layer, use potato only.
- Pour in stock up to 2/3 level of the oven dish.
- Brush the remainder of the butter onto the top layer of potato.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 160°C until Golden Brown.
- Remove after one hour.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say