Give cabbage a spicy twist with this recipe.
- cold pressed sesame oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic (slice into thin slivers)
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and sliced thinly)
- 1 head of york cabbage or spring cabbage
- sea salt
- Prepare the cabbage. Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and remove the thick, hard stalk. Cut the heart in half. Wash well. Thinly slice the leaves and thinly shred the heart.
- In a large heavy based pot, heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Fry the shallots, garlic and chilli for a minute and add the cabbage a few handfuls at a time, stirring all the time until the cabbage is coated in the chilli, garlic and shallot. Season with a pinch of sea salt and add 4 tablespoons of water to the pot.
- Cover and over a medium heat cook the cabbage for 5-7 minutes or until the cabbage has wilted completely.
- Uncover and turn the heat up, stirring the cabbage for another 1-2 minutes.
- This cabbage is delicious as it is or it can be tossed with cooked buckwheat noodles (Soba).
- Instead of salt this dish can be seasoned with a sprinkling of soya sauce at end of cooking.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush