Love cabbage but not so fond of how it's traditionally cooked? Here's a sweet side dish that can be eaten as a salad to go along with your St Patrick's Day fare.
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 1 onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eating apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 4 tblsp red wine vinegar
- handful of sun dried raisins (optional)
- apple concentrate
- sea salt
- coarse black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy based pot. Add the onion and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the red cabbage, a handful at a time, and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced apple and a small handful of raisins, the red wine vinegar, 4 tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Check half way through and add another 2 tablespoons of water if needed.
- Taste the cabbage for sweetness and add apple concentrate gradually until the desired sweetness has been reached.
- Season with salt and coarse black pepper.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich