A low-fat carbonara from Dr Eva Orsmond.
- 5 ml olive oil
- 150 g white turnip
- 100 g ham (cut into thin cubes)
- 1 egg yolk
- 30 g low fat soft cheese
- vegetable or beef stock
- black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 75 g pasta
- a little boiling water from the kettle
- a few shavings of parmesan
- Heat at least one litre (1000ml) of water to boil the pasta.
- While the pasta is boiling (approx 12-15 minutes), peel and slice the white turnip into very thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan and add the turnip and stock cube melted in a little boiling water from the kettle. Cover with a lid and simmer for a few minutes to soften the turnip.
- Add the ham into the pan with the turnip and the garlic. In a bowl, mix the egg yolk with the low fat soft cheese.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the hot turnip and ham mixture.
- Pour the egg and soft cheese mixture over the pasta, turnip andham mixture.
- The egg is not suppose to scramble but should stay like sauce.
- Sprinkle with black pepper, nutmeg and shaving of parmesan cheese and serve.
- Almost as nice as Real Carbonara but half of the calories!
More by Dr Eva Orsmond:
- Turkey Curry Stir-Fry, Dr Eva style
- Mini Homemade Burgers
- Chickpea Burgers with Cucumber Raita and Green Salad