A hearty supper that's easy to prepare.
- 6–8 chicken thighs
- 200 g pancetta, diced, or bacon bits
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 75 ml red wine
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
- 1 red onion (chopped in half moons)
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tsp english mustard powder
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- In a large deep frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and brown the chicken and pancetta, until you get a nice colour on the thighs. Set aside on plate covered with kitchen paper.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the oil and fry the garlic, onion, rosemary and thyme for 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the mustard powder and stir through.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and red wine, and bring to the boil. Add the chicken and pancetta pieces back to the pan, turning the chicken pieces to coat.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes over a low heat or until the chicken is cooked through. You may need to extend the cooking time depending on the size of the chicken thighs. I don’t add salt to this recipe as the pancetta can be quite salty, but make sure to taste it and add seasoning if needed.
- Serve with a tasty salad and some hearty wholemeal bread.