A rich and warming dessert from Louise Lennox.
- 16 slices of brioche
- 7 oz dark chocolate (72% chopped)
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 pint cream
- 0.5 pint milk
- 4 oz sugar
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together. Heat cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour cream onto the egg yolks and whisk. Dip the sliced brioche into the cream mixture. Layer brioche in an 8” square tin. Sprinkle with chocolate.
- Then place another layer of brioche on top and sprinkle with chocolate. Continue to do this until all the brioche is used and finish with a sprinkle of chocolate.
- Pour any remaining cream and egg mixture on top. Preheat oven to 150°C
- Place the brioche in a Bain Marie – the water should go half way up the sides of the brioche tin.
- Bake for 1 hour until the top is crisp and all the liquid is set. Remove from the oven, allow to cool.
- Portion the pudding, sprinkle sugar on top and caramelise it.