You will need one wok or deep-sided pan and a second pan for the rice.
- 170 g rump steak (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.5 an egg white
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tblsp light soy sauce
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 2 tblsp roasted peanuts/cashews
- 0.25 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 spring onions (chopped, green parts only)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed and finely sliced)
- thumb-sized piece of root ginger (peeled and finely sliced, about 10 slices)
- 0.5 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 0.5 tsp whole peppercorns, cracked
- for the sauce:
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- for the rice:
- 8 oz cooked basmati rice (cold)
- 0.5 tsp soy sauce (or to taste)
- 1 egg
- You will need one wok or deep-sided pan and a second pan for the rice.
- Combine salt, egg white, soy sauce and cornflour in a bowl and mix well with a fork or whisk. Add the sliced beef and coat well with the mixture. Set aside to marinate.
- Blend all sauce ingredients in another bowl and set aside. Add 1tbsp vegetable oil to a heated wok and stir fry beef until it loses its pink colour (1-2 mins). Remove beef from wok and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the same wok. Toss the peanuts, red peppers, garlic, chilli flakes, ginger and cracked peppercorns into the wok and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the combined sauce ingredients and cook until heated through and sauce has thickened.
- Return beef to the wok and stir fry on high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Finally, add the chopped spring onion and stir through. Serve with fried rice.
- For the rice, heat the pan on a high heat. Add a little vegetable oil. Add the cold rice and heat through, stirring all the while. Season with a little soy sauce.
- When rice is good and hot make a well in the centre. Add the egg into the well and stir through the rice until the egg is well cooked and mixed through the rice.
More by Paul Rankin:
- Deep Filled Pear Frangipane Tart
- Lemon Syllabub With Blackberries
- Duck Teriyaki With Pickled Cucumber