My ultimate little Asian starter has to be these Pork Lettuce Cups, which are full of fantastic aromatic flavours.
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 250 g lean pork mince
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp fish sauce (nampla)
- 1 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 5 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 8 fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- juice of 1 lime
- to serve:
- 2 baby gem lettuces (separated into leaves)
- thai sweet chilli sauce
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, add the pork mince and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the mince is tender, breaking the mince up with a spoon as it cooks. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a further minute.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar and stir through, frying for another minute until you have a good colour on the meat.
- Finally add half the spring onions, mint and the lime juice and fry for 1-2 minutes until the spring onions are just tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until just warm.
- Place 1 heaped tablespoon of the aromatic pork in each baby gem lettuce leaf, top with a drizzle of Thai sweet chilli sauce and a garnish with the remaining spring onions and mint.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes