Soon to become a family favourite.
- 3 medium aubergines (finely sliced)
- 60 g salt, to be sprinkled on the aubergines
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 800 g home-made tomato sauce
- 400 g rigatoni
- 90 g ricotta salata
- basil leaves (for garnish)
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Finely slice the aubergines and place on a colander. Sprinkle with salt and allow fifteen minutes for the aubergines to de-gorge and lose their bitterness. Then rinse and pat dry. Next fry the aubergine in batches and set aside, keeping warm.
- In the meantime cook the rigatoni as per the packet instructions and drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid. In a separate pan add the pasta into the Norma sauce and if the pasta is a little sticky, you can loosen it with the reserved cooking liquid. Taste for seasoning.
- Place on serving platter, spoon over any remaining sauce and place the aubergines on top.
- Shred some basil on top and grate the ricotta salata over. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve to appreciative guests.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto