This will make a delicious quick starter or light meal.
- for the skewers:
- 8 large king prawns
- 8 squid tubes (cut 1 ½ cm rings)
- 400 g firm white fish fillets (like monkfish)
- 0.5 tsp fennel seeds
- 0.5 tsp green pepper corns
- 2 small cloves garlic (finely crushed)
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli (minced)
- for the couscous:
- 0.5 bunch flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 350 g couscous
- 2 lemons (sliced)
- 40 g almond flakes, toasted
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- a large bunch rocket leaves
- 2 tblsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- lemon to serve
- For the skewers:
- Soak the skewers if you are using wooden ones to prevent them burning. Shell and de-vein the prawns, leaving the tails on and then cut the squid down the one side and into one and a half cm rings. Then place all fish in a bowl to start the marinade.
- To prepare the marinade, crush the fennel seeds and peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and add to the fish. Then add the chilli and garlic to the fish and allow it to marinade for about fifteen minutes.
- Thread the fish onto skewers, brush them with a little oil and place them on a hot grill pan or BBQ until fish is cooked on one side, perhaps about two or three minutes and then turn them over and cook for the same amount of time.
- For the couscous:
- In a dry frying pan, lightly brown the lemon slices and set them aside. In pour the oil into a second pan, and add the chilli, lemon juice and garlic and cook until the garlic has softened and turned slightly golden.
- Next, bring stock to the boil and remove from the heat. Add the couscous and allow to stand for five minutes or until the liquid has all been absorbed. Fluff it with a fork. And add the garlic and oil mixture to the couscous.
- Chop the caramelised lemon slices and add them also. Finally, add some chopped parsley, the roasted almonds and check for seasoning. For presentation, tear the rocket leaves into the couscous and spoon onto a platter. Place the seafood skewers on top and serve, garnished with a little parsley and some lemon slices
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart