A simple but sumptuous dessert.
- 4 egg yolks (or three egg yolks and one whole egg)
- 75 g sugar
- 50 ml marsala
- orange shortbread
- makes small biscotti (a delicious accompaniment to zabaglione)
- 180 g white flour
- 120 g butter
- 60 g castor sugar
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- Place egg yolks and sugar into a large bowl and whisk for about five or six minutes, until it is thick and pale yellow. Set the egg mixture over a bain marie and gradually drizzle in the marsala, whisking all the time. Continue whisking until the mixture doubles in volume and is holding soft peaks.
- This will take about twelve to fifteen minutes. It is important not to let the eggs cook around the edges of the bowl. Spoon into 4 glasses and serve warm or chilled.
- For the orange shortbread:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4. Put the flour, orange zest and sugar into a bowl, rub in the butter as for short crust pastry.
- Gather the mixture together, add just sufficient juice to bind. Knead it lightly and roll out to 7mm thick. Then cut it into squares or any preferred small shape.
- Pop in the oven and bake until the biscuits are pale brown, for about eight to ten minutes. Remove them from the oven, cool on a rack and serve with the zabaglione for a delicious Italian dessert.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Today: Catherine's Cider Chicken Casserole
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio