An apple dessert which will be well received at any dinner party - the flavour of the apple is superb against the buttered toasted bread.
- 8 large dessert apples
- 75 g butter
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 loaf of bread (cut into slices about ¼inch/5mm thick, crusts removed)
- 110 g butter (softened)
- You Will Need: 6 individual ramekins or pudding basins (150ml capacity) or one large round ovenproof soufflé dish
- Make sure to brush them with some melted butter!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- First you need to cut the bread into strips about ¾ inches/2cm in thickness.
- Butter the bread. Cut out a disc of buttered bread for the top and bottom of the pudding basin. Put the disc in at the very bottom first with the butter side pointing downwards. Retain the discs for the top of the pudding mould.
- Use the thin strips of bread to line the pudding mould all the way around, overlapping a little to make sure there is no overflow at a later stage.
- Ensure at all times that it is the buttered side that is pointing outwards.
- Store these moulds in the fridge until required.
- Meanwhile make up the caramelised apple mixture. Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 7-8 wedges. In a large pan melt down the butter slowly. Add the apples into the butter and toss around for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften slightly and take on a golden brown colour.
- Pour in the honey at this stage. Allow the mixture to cool - slightly.
- When the mixture has cooled a little, take the moulds out of the fridge and divide the apple and cinnamon mixture between the six ramekins or pudding basins.
- Cover with the final disc of bread-again pointing the butter side out so as to face you. This just gives a nice golden finish to the charlottes at a later stage.
- Push down the top disc of bread to keep it secure during cooking.
- Transfer the pudding basins to a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bread has turned golden brown.
- Allow the pudding to rest for 5-10 minutes and then invert onto a serving plate. Serve with Freshly whipped cream flavoured with a little honey.