This recipe was given to Darina Allen by her daughter-in-law Rachel.
- 100 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 25 g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 organic egg
- 125 ml milk
- drop of sunflower oil, for greasing
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and salt and stir to mix.
- Make a well in the centre, crack in the egg and whisk, gradually drawing in the flour from the edge. Add the milk gradually, whisking all the time, to form a smooth batter.
- Lightly grease a frying pan and warm it over a moderate heat. Drop 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan, keeping them well apart so they don’t stick together.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface and begin to burst and the drop scones are golden underneath (and not before).
- Then flip them over and cook on the other side for a minute or so, until golden on this side as well.
- Remove from the pan and serve warm with butter and jam, apple jelly, lemon curd or chocolate spread.
More by Darina Allen:
- Crunchy Orange Butter Scones
- Old-fashioned Roast Turkey with Fresh Herb Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce and Bread Sauce
- Christmas Tree Meringues