Stephane Reynaud's perfect roast chicken.
- 1 large free range chicken
- 12 anchovies in oil (halved)
- 12 garlic cloves (halved)
- 2 branches rosemary (broken into small sprigs)
- 1 small bunch tarragon (leaves only)
- 3 french shallots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 tblsp crème fraiche
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- Prepare the chicken the day before. Use the pointed end of a knife to pierce the chicken in several places. Then insert the anchovy, garlic clove and rosemary sprig in each opening. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator over night.
- The next day, combine the tarragon leaves, shallot and crème fraiche in a bowl and mix through well. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and stuff the chicken with the tarragon mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350 °F/Gas 4).
- Take a chicken, a good knife and some kitchen string. Remove the innards of the chicken and set it down so the breast is facing you.
- Tie the string around the neck skin and the wings, then tuck these underneath the chicken.
- Pass the string over the breast, slip it under the thighs and wrap it around the end of the drumsticks. Take the string back to the upper wings.
- Wrap the string around the wings several times, pull the string tight, then tie a knot.
- Then put it in a flameproof roasting tin. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken, then roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the oven.
- Carve the chicken into portions and serve with the stuffing