A twist on a standard fish dinner
- 100 g spinach
- 4 (150g each) halibut portion
- 1 kg mussels
- 1 glass white wine
- 100 g crème fraiche
- 1 tblsp chopped chervil, chives
- 1 lemon
- 2 large carrots (diced)
- 1 small celeriac (diced)
- Place a large pot on the heat and allow to heat up. Add the mussels and the wine and cover with a lid immediately.
- When the mussels begin to open, turn off the heat and allow to sit for 2 mins before removing the lid.
- Then strain into a sieve and pick the flesh from the shells discarding the shells but keeping the cooking liquid. Strain the cooking liquid again through a clean damp J-cloth to remove any remaining sand, reduce the stock by half and leave aside until serving.
- Dice the carrot and celeriac to an even dice and cook in a boiling salted water separately. When cooked, mix the two vegetables together in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- For the spinach, pre-cook the spinach in boiling water for 20 seconds, then straight into cold water, strain a squeeze out any excess water. Season and leave in a bowl covered with cling film and a knob of butter to be micro-waved when serving.
- To cook the fish, heat up a frying pan until really hot. Season and add the halibut fillets cook until one side becomes a nice golden colour and place in the oven at 200°C for 4 minutes.
- While the fish is in the oven, heat up the reduced mussel stock, add the carrot and celeriac, boil for 1-2 minutes ensuring the vegetable is heated through. Then add two large spoons of Crème Fraiche, the chopped herbs and the picked mussel meat.
- Boil for further 30 seconds, the remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the mussels mixture evenly into bowls and place a little of the spinach in the centre of each one. Remove the fish from the oven, squeeze a little lemon juice on the top and place onto the spinach.
- Garnish with a few springs of soft herbs.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon