A sublime dish with Kevin Dundon
- 200 g wild mushrooms (torn roughly)
- 0.5 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 0.25 glass white wine
- 25 g butter
- 50 g cranberries
- 80 ml fresh cream
- 75 g smoked cheese (grated)
- 2 dsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt, cracked black pepper
- 1 packet of ready to roll puff pastry
- 1 egg mixed with milk to glaze the tartlets.
- Line 6 tartlet moulds or tian rings with the puff pastry. You need to cut out a disc of puff pastry twice as large as the ring/mould you intend to use and push this pastry around the base and sides of your well oiled mould using your fingers to secure it in place. (Old canned food tins can be used or alternatively you can use actual tartlet dishes)
- At this stage also cut out a disc of puff pastry with the mould to use, as the lid, at a later stage.
- In a large pot melt the butter and add in the finely chopped onion and garlic and sweat these off gently and without any colour. Keep the pot on a very gentle heat.
- Add in the torn wild mushrooms and allow them to cook down in the pot with the addition of ½ of your white wine. Season the mushrooms well at this stage with some salt and cracked black pepper.
- At this stage add in the fresh cranberries and mix thoroughly.
- Once all of the vegetables are cooked gently increase the heat and add in the remaining wine, the cream and bring the liquid to a rapid boil.
- Next add in the grated cheese and you will find that this will thicken the quid and bind everything together. Finally add in the chopped parsley and cranberries and allow to cool slightly.
- Fill the previously lined rings with the mushroom mixture and press the disc of pastry down on top to encase the tartlet. Use a little egg wash around the rim of the disc to assist you.
- Cut some incisions in the top with a sharp knife to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush the entire tartlet with prepared egg wash and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad or some crisp green vegetables and baby boiled potatoes.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show