Just shut your eyes, buy a packet of fresh hazelnuts and you will feel like you are in Southern Italy for this delicious dessert.
- for the pastry:
- 225 g plain flour
- 30 ml icing sugar
- 115 g butter
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tblsp water
- for the filling:
- 115 g honey
- 75 g caster sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter (diced)
- 150 g hazelnuts (chopped and toasted)
- grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (Gas 4).
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the diced butter and rubbing it in the with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the zest, sieve in the icing sugar and stir.
- Beat the egg with 1 tbsp of water and add to the bowl.
- Mix until it forms a firm dough. Grease a 23cm (9”) tart tin, flour a work surface and roll out the pastry slightly larger than the tin. Line the tin with the pastry and prick the base with a fork. Place in the fridge to rest for approximately ten minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, line with parchment or greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or rice.
- Place in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and caster sugar together.
- Place the honey and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently. Then add to the egg mixture before mixing in the orange rind and orange juice. Add the hazelnuts and salt and stir well.
- Remove the parchment and baking beans from the tart case and add the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the filling is light brown in colour and has set. Place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve warm.