A light, tasty meal.
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 tuna steaks (about 200g)
- salt and pepper
- 15 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 oz olive oil
- 1 twig of rosemary (for brushing)
- for the salad:
- 1 tblsp butter
- 150 g pinenuts
- 0.25 tsp and 1 teaspoon salt (1¼ teaspoons total)
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 tsp white pepper
- 1 tblsp honey
- 100 ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 250 g baby spinach (washed, drained well and dried)
- 1 small red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 3 oranges (peeled and cut into ½ cm slices)
- To make the salad:
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan and add the pine nuts. Roast the pine nuts over low to medium heat, stirring constantly and taking care not to burn them, for about two to three minutes. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and set them aside.
- Using a food processor, add the vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and honey. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons roasted pine nuts and process to puree. Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl, add the onion and toss with enough dressing to coat. Taste and add salt if needed. Arrange the orange slices overlapping around the outer edge of a large cold serving platter and drizzle with any remaining dressing. Pile the spinach in the centre and sprinkle with roasted pinenuts.
- To prepare the tuna:
- To make the sauce, add lemon juice to a bowl, whip vigorously and add oil in a slow steady stream. Finish with minced garlic. Brush the sauce over the tuna using the rosemary twig as a brush. Heat the griddle pan. Place the tuna in pan and cook for about two minutes on each side. Serve on a bed of spinach and orange salad.