Richard Corrigan shows how to serve up delicious turkey legs this Christmas.
- 2 turkey legs (sliced into pieces about 2cm thick, get your butcher to do this, it is difficult to saw through the bone)
- 100 g flour
- 25 g butter
- vegetable oil
- 200 ml stock
- 3 bulbs of fennel (roughly chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 sticks celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- 6 dried apricots (halved)
- 6 figs (halved)
- 6 prunes (stoned and halved)
- 8 dates (stoned and halved)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 100 ml marsala
- 2 star anise
- 1 tblsp mustard seeds
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- Put all the vegetables, dried fruit, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes and stock into a deep roasting dish.
- Sprinkle the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper - dust all the turkey pieces with the flour.
- Heat oil and melt butter in a large frying pan and brown the turkey legs pieces on all sides. When the turkey pieces are browned, take them from the pan and put on top of the mixed vegetables.
- Deglaze the pan with the Marsala, pour the Marsala over the turkey and vegetable mix. Cover with tin foil and cook in a preheated oven 200°C (400°F, Gas 6) for 1½ hours.