Catherina Fulvio's recipe for a delicious coconut ice cream.
- for the ice cream:
- 250 ml double cream
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- for the carpaccio:
- 1 pineapple (very finely sliced)
- a little sugar for caramelising
- Place the cream and coconut cream in a saucepan and gently heat until it reaches boiling point. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over simmering water (bain marie) until mixture thickens. Whisk in the hot cream and continue whisking for three to four minutes, stirring all the time until custard thickens to the point where it will coating the back of a spoon.
- Cool the mixture by standing the bowl in cold water and stirring to prevent a skin forming. Pour this mixture into a freezer proof container, cover and freeze for one hour.
- Break the crystals with a fork and whisk until smooth. Return to the freezer and repeat the whisking process once again. Meantime, place the pineapple slices on a plate, sprinkle with sugar and caramelise lightly, using a blow torch.
- Alternatively, grill the pineapple to colour the sugar. When cooled, serve with the coconut ice-cream.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio
- DIY Baked potatoes