A delicious and indulgent dessert from Des Cahill.
- for the mousse:
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 2 free range egg whites
- 25 g caster sugar
- 2 leaves gelatine
- 100 g white chocolate
- 200 ml cream
- for the strawberry ripple:
- 150 g fresh strawberries
- 2-3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 small vanilla pod or 2 drops vanilla extract
- For the Strawberry Ripple:
- Chop the strawberries in half.
- In a saucepan, heat the strawberries, vanilla pod and sugar together over a low to medium heat warm for a couple of minutes unril warmed through and remove from the heat to cool completely. Set aside.
- For the Mousse:
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside. Beat the egg yolks and sugar over a pot of simmering water until the double in volume and are pale & fluffy.
- Place the gelatine in cold water and leave to soften for about 5 minutes. Then strain the gelatine and whisk it into the egg mixture.
- Melt the white chocolate slowly over a pot of simmering water and fold into the egg mixture. Then whip the cream until it has thickened slight and fold this into the mixture. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- To Serve:
- Place some of the strawberries in the bottom of a martini glass.
- Spoon in some of the mousse and, with a teaspoon, swirl a few tablespoons of the strawberry juice in a circle through the mousse and serve.
More by Des Cahill:
- Lamb En Croute, Roasted Root Vegetables with Rosemary and Garlic
- Warm Chicken Salad with Honey and Mustard Dressing, Toasted Pine Nuts and Cashel Blue Cheese
- Cashel Blue Cheese Salad with Pancetta and Toasted Pine Nuts