Naomi Byrne's recipe for a Christmas starter with an eye on the cost!
- i large onion (chopped)
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 l good quality or homemade vegetable stock
- 700 g frozen petis pois
- 2 handfuls of fresh mint (finely chopped)
- 300 ml cream
- 300 ml milk
- 75 g butted
- salt and pepper
- Sweat the onions and potato over a low heat in the butter for approx 10 minutes.
- When the onions are transparent and the potatoes softened, add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for half an hour. Next add the peas, and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the fresh mint and then puree with either a hand held mixer or a blender, while at the same time gradually adding the milk and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
More by Naomi Byrne:
- Cranberry with Cinnamon and Orange
- Roast Beef, Horseradish Cream and Rocket Sandwich
- Spiced Apple and Tomato Chutney